Thursday, September 14, 2006

My biking nearly ended PART IV


“You have a fistula”
“a what??”
“Fistula, an abnormal passage leading from a suppurating cavity to the body surface”
The doctor took ten minutes to explain me what I had done to myself and the seriousness of the problem.
“You will need an operation, and we still don’t guarantee if it will reoccur or not. You may have to leave your biking forever too..”

For the first time in my life, I wept, I cried whole night. I couldn’t sleep. Medical science has advanced so much and still the doc says I wont be able to bike? Haa…… I searched for the problem (Fistula) on the net and finally came across these two web-pages which described the problem best.
http://www2b.biglobe.ne.jp/~dr-ok/zjirou.html
http://www.fascrs.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=1

My condition was a serious one and hence the reason why the doc wasn’t ready to take the guarantee for an operation. Would it mean my first love, my biking would end forever? I will have to leave my dream job too? In the coming few days I went into a state of depression and kept everything I thought to myself, making things worse. Its really difficult to describe that stage of life. The day would begin with tensions, end with tensions...
Somehow, when the opening healed, I convinced my parents that I was ok and I went back to Pune, but as a new “Bunny” and for reasons… But I wanted to fight back and I did. I avoided sitting for long hours, or riding bikes with a hard seat for long durations and took a long course of antibiotics. For some weeks I was totally ok and forgot everything and months passed by. In October 2005 I even rode from Pune to Delhi on my Karizma, a distance of 1690kms in 31 hours and then on to the Himalayas. Life once again looked inviting for me…

In Feb 2006, I again felt the problem re-surfacing and rushed to Delhi. The doc said this time as I had taken action fast, some strong antibiotics may help and they did! But the strong antibiotics made life hell for a week! Anyways I was back to work, back to biking and life went on smoothly till August 2006………………… PART V coming up soon

In the meantime, those bikers who feel any kind of pain in lower back/tail bone area, please get urself examined properly from a surgeon…

No comments:

Post a Comment