Thursday, September 14, 2006

My biking nearly ended Part III


PART III

The pain was history..
2005 started and I looked forward to more trips up to the Himalayas but my biking was taking a toll on my engineering studies. I was into my final yr of B.tech and had a lot of backlogs to cover. My friends, who had no backlogs were getting placed every second day and me...well, depressing times started for me.

It was somewhere in April 2005 that I heard the news of split up at Tata Infomedia (overdrive mag). There was a new automotive publication house coming up and I saw a ray of hope for myself. A couple of telephone calls later, it seemed to me as if my dream was going to come true.

My last practical examination on the 7th of June 2005: Reached home by 8pm, met some friends, packed my bags and left for Pune on the 8th to join BIKE INDIA and CAR INDIA magazines, yes, every automobile enthusiasts dream job. What more could I ask for, riding bikes, driving cars and getting paid for it. Sounds like fairy-tale? Well....

Somehow, my past kept haunting me. I began riding lot of bikes in Pune (the job you see) and sometimes the pain would hit, although of a very low intensity. I used to fear it will come back, but i kept convincing myself it wont, but deep down in my heart I had fears...

The first issue of our mags was out, we were all overjoyed. The monsoons too were in all their fury and half of Maharashtra was under water. A day after the launch, I rode to Mangalore (app 850kms) on my karizma to meet my gal. Everyone stopped me from doing it (due to the rains) but me being me, decided to do it! Little did I know that this 1700km round trip would prove too bad for me. The continous long stretches of riding I did took a toll on my disease: It was back. During the ride, I could feel the pain, I could feel a lump of infection being formed.

I had not even finished two months at my office and I had to request for a leave. My boss was very understanding and fortunately he allowed me to go back. So there I was, back to Delhi, back to bed.

We all make mistakes, and i made it too. Somehow, this time i didnt go to any doctor. I just kept lying on the bed for days, waiting for it to swell and burst - the biggest mistake I made. After it burst, i went to a doc recommended by a close uncle of mine. This doctor then revealed the disease I had.....

No comments:

Post a Comment