Monday, June 25, 2007

Fort Point (Mahim,Mumbai) service : Pathetic

Hardly 500 mtrs from my office in Mahim is Fort Point’s service center for Hero Honda two-wheelers. Showing faith in them, I dropped off my 4yr old Karizma for a routine service (yesterday, 25th june), swing-arm bushes replacement and a couple of other small things. But one thing I really wanted to be looked into was this:
The front Michelin had developed a weird pattern, and above 50km/h, it made sound like a fully laden truck tyre makes. I was told by some experts it could be due to differences in the amount of oil in the forks. The sound is very evident above 50km/h, and above 80km/h, other people on the road even turn around to see you, such is the level of noise! Delhi guys would remember, on a meet some weeks back, when I would overtake the gang at 100km/h, many members would notice the noise.

Anyways, when I came back to pick the Bike in the evening at 6, nothing had been done to rectify it. The guy who made the job-card , Dinesh, said there was no problem at all. Then another guy came and acted smart. These two, no matter how much I explained, or showed the tyre’s new weird pattern, thought I was a fool and said there was nothing wrong. Finally, when I told them to come with me for a ride, one of them did. The sound was evident but he said it’s the chain’s sound and its normal. Ok, thanks a lot!

In the end, I was a disappointed customer. Fingers of my left were oily, thanks to excessive oiling of the clutch yoke, my jean’s pocked became oily, thanks to excessive oiling of the key hole. Why couldn’t they wipe the excessive oil? The seat had a dried up bird-poo. The Bike wasn’t totally cleaned up with visible marks of oily dirty hands. I left the Bike in ‘ON’ (fuel) position but when I came back, it was in ‘reserve’. Going by rules, if they are charging 175 bucks for servicing charges, they shouldn’t be taking out petrol for cleaning parts, right?

My question is: When a Karizma owner cant be treated well, what happens to other HeroHonda motorcycle owners? And what is the kind of training that they are giving to the mechanics? Or has HH taken its customers for granted? I have no option but to go to some other workshop, like Zubin’s etc.
I shall be mailing copies of these to the regional head as well to the Delhi head office, plus sending fax copies too. Its really irritating to see an old faithful customer (I am a HH customer since 2001) being treated like this by HeroHonda’s authorized service center’s staff, knowledge-less staff.

PS : google for "hero honda service center fort point mumbai" and see what comes out. The battle has began...
___________________________________________________


updated on 26th june
updates : i rode to office from home. i had mentioned the guy (dinesh) to rectify the idling prob. the rpm keeps fluctuating between 1500 and 2000 at idling. the prob has not been rectified. im frustated beyond words

updated with inputs from another biker, member id wraith at xbhp.com
^^Happens to me everytime i get the Bike serived at Fortpoint Mahim...


welcome to the world of hopeless service of FortPoint Mahim or infact FortPoint Mahalaxmi....

i've gettin my CBZ serviced at Mahim since quite sometime now...and to say the service is hopeless is an understatement...i half the things i tell them to check or do arent done...and Bike is always greasy when i get it back have to go home n was it everytime i get it serviced at Fortpoint...

And none of the problems i tell them are sorted at the first go...always have to keep goin back after a service to get small things done....like they forget to change the bulb etc....last week i gave my Bike for serivicing in the morning by evening the battery was discharged when i went to get the bike...

i have never been satisfied with their service....last time i a problem with my cbz wobbling above 70-80 kmph FortPoint was unable to fix it!!(there is a theard on it too..) 3 serivies n change of the front tyre n few other things and still the problem didnt go...

And the worst part FortPoint is the only option i can choose cause i stay at Dadar and FortPoint is the closest....i cant go to Andheri or Chembur(this one isnt good either) coz they are too far....


My Bike is frm Nasik..where i used to get it serviced at Jitendra Auto....its really good dealership n service centre never had a problem with them even once in abt 4 yrs....and i keep wondering a big city like Mumbai doesnt have a half decent service centre....which can service the Bike at first go....

when my CBZ was under warranty....the Bike was shuttling between nasik n bombay...once there was a strange noise frm the engine while i was in bbay and took the Bike to Fortpoint Mahim....there was told there was a problem with the camshaft or soemthing...i wasnt worried coz i thought since the Bike was under warranty FortPoint would take care of it....They asked me for the service booklet and checked if the free services n all were done or not...i had always got my Bike serviced from Jitendra Auto Nasik (bought the Bike frm them) both free n paid...
But it so happened on one service coupon they had not put the stamp all other details were there...but FortPoint refused to change the parts under warranty insisting that i handnt followed the proper procedure....
They said get the booklet stamped or get bills for that particular service to claim warranty!!
I tried telling them this is ridiculous one missing stamp couldnt void my warranty!! but they didnt budge for days...i really comtemplated taking the Bike to Nasik to get the problem fixed but since the engine was involved i didnt want to take a chance...then a phone call n email to HH...and some strong talking with the FortPoint Manager got me the parts under warranty ( wat also helped was while i was waiting for my turn to yell at the manager ...he was being yelled at by another unsatisfied customer who was cursing the place standing on the road outside the main gate!!)

rmdesai from xbhp adds
It seems, it is more or less same with every service station. At TVS cervice center, Bandra I have experienced similar things. The job card is mere formality. It is made only for the purpose of documentation and claiming reimbursement from the company. The mechanics just go by their routine habits. They will change the oil (to most mechanics changing the oil mean servicing), adjust the clutch setting and rear break setting, oil the chain, adjust the mirrors and wash the bike, thats it, servicing is thrugh. What is there in the job card is immaterial. (I don't want to redicule any one, but I doubt whether the mechs can read and understand the job card written in Enghlish)In India customer is only important till the point of sale. Customer support is only for advertising purpose. Let alone bikes, It's true about every product.

aparajith from xbhp adds
Cool job.....Way to go.....Without a good service backup I wonder what would be the status of more advanced bikes like a Karizma - Fi and the lots in the hands of these morons.....Have heard and experienced first hand of such things with BAJAJ service stations but now am hearing a lot about HH like this...One another instance....My friend has a 2 year old Passion Plus which he normally services at a showroom at Mount Road. Last month he serviced it at a showroom in Adambakkam and guess what, the Bike is a mess since then. He replaced a few parts like the clutch, tightened the timing chain and some other stuff. Worst of all the Bike has done onle 12789 kms as on date, that too only city driving.....Now It makes all kinds of noises beyond 60kmph, which am sure a Passion can maintain. The mileage has dropped to 45 kmpl, too much wobbling from the front forks. I could go on and on about this....He is not so auto - savvy but could sense something was wrong. I took it for a ride to my mechanic and that was it. He was listing problems.....Looks like those guys messed up whatever was possible from a good vehicle...Even shouting at the manager did not help....He took it to my mechanic and serviced it finally.......

No comments:

Post a Comment