Friday, November 21, 2008

Delhi to Marsimek La : Day 3

DAY 3: SARCHU - LEH : 260KM

After a hard second day, three morning didnt seem to bring any respite for us. The AMS was bad than I had imagined it to be. My head was aching, and the chill out (the bike's seat was covered with a layer of frost!) didnt help either. After whatever I could possibly stuff my stomach with, I left immediately as Sarchu didnt have any STD booths. I had not spoken to my family since the night of day1. The first few km towards Pang were quite nice, and it was possible to keep an average speed of around 55-60km/h. However, once the ascent to the Gata loops started, my going became slow.


The much talked about Gata Loops


After the Gata Loops came the Nakeela Pass

And then the Lachulungla Pass

I was aiming for Pang, 80km from Sarchu in two hours. With a couple of breaks for pics and pee, I managed to reach here. There was an Army camp and the good guys let me make a satellite call back home. Note the line up of Innovas in the background? The group had stayed the previous night with us at the campsite. I waited for an hour before the others came and we all had breakfast together.

After breakfast, we continued and ride and came across these. Natural formations caused by wind!

And the More Plains. A vast empty piece of mother earth, extending for miles. There are no proer roads, though which ever dirt road you take, you end up at the same place - the concrete road to the Tanglangla Pass

A tired me.. with the Karizmas

Imagine being here at night!

The Karizma - probably the best Indian bike for touring right now

The Tanglang La pass at 17582feet

After riding down from the Tanglangla pass, the roads improved and some of us literally flew to Upshi where we waited for others to join

At Upshi


We reached Leh earlier than expected, thanks to the last 70km. Nitinjit had already arranged for a fantastic place for us to stay - Hotel Kaal, on the airport road. The rest of the evening was spent relaxing, having a drink (and two!) at the hotel itsel.

Delhi to Marismek la : Day1
Delhi to Marsimek la : Day2
Delhi to Marsimek la : Day4
Delhi to Marsimek la : Day5
Delhi to Marsimek la : Day6


No comments:

Post a Comment